1. An artificial imitation or representation of something, especially of a person or a bust of a person.
2. The aspect, appearance, or form of someone or something; semblance, likeness. Now only in allusions to, or uses derived from, biblical language, especially Genesis 1:26, 27.
3. A visual representation or counterpart of an object or scene, formed through the interaction of rays of light with a mirror, lens, etc., usually by reflection or refraction.
4. A thing or person in which the aspect, form, or character of another is reproduced; an exact likeness; a counterpart, copy.
5. A mental representation of something (especially a visible object) created not by direct perception but by memory or imagination; a mental picture or impression; an idea, conception.
6. A representation of something to the mind by speech or writing, a vivid or graphic description.
7. With of. (a) A thing that stands for or is taken to stand for something else; a symbol, emblem. (b) A thing or person in which some quality is vividly exhibited, so as to make it or the person a natural representative of the quality, a type, a typical example, embodiment.
1. The action of standing for, or in the place of, a person, group or thing, and related senses. (a) Something which stands for or denotes another symbolically; an image, a symbol, a sign.
2. Senses relating to depiction or portrayal (a) A depiction or portrayal of a person or thing, typically one produced in an artistic medium; an image, a model, a picture.
3. The action or process of presenting to the mind or imagination.
4. Philosophy - An image, concept, or thought in the mind, especially as representing an object or state of affairs in the world; specifically a mental image or idea regarded as an object of direct knowledge and as the means by which knowledge of objects in the world may be indirectly acquired (now chiefly History).
5. Law - The fact or process of standing for, or in the place of, a person, group, institution, etc., especially with the right or authority to speak or act on behalf of these.
6. Appearance; impression on the sight; bearing, air, demeanor.